Garlic Mash N Gravy
This vegan Garlic Mash n Gravy recipe will light up your home and your taste buds this holiday season.
6 large Yukon Potatoes
1/2 cup unsweetened original almond milk
2 tbsp vegan butter (Miyoko's)
4 cloves of garlic
a dash of salt and pepper
2 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
2 vegetable boullion cubes
1 small sweet onion
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 cup all purpose flour
a dash of pepper
- Bring about 14 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add a dash of salt to the water.
- Once water is boiling, add 6 potatoes and cook for about 25-30 min or until potatoes break easily when pierced a fork.
- Dump water and set aside potatoes to cool for 5 min; then return potatoes to pot. In a separate small pan, heat vegan butter and finely diced garlic.
- Cook on low heat, stirring frequently, do not over cook butter or burn garlic.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher until no lumps remain.
- Stir in milk, garlic, butter and mix, well. Add salt a pepper to taste.
- Boil 4 cups of water, stir in 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (you will only need 2 1/2 cups of the broth but will need to create the correct water-to-bouillon ratio. I used BOU cubes found at Whole Foods).
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp oil, onions and garlic. Cook onions until translucent and stir in mushrooms. Cover and cook on medium high heat until mushrooms cook down.
- Slowly stir in a little vegetable broth with a little flour, creating a roux to avoid clumping. Stir frequently and let cook for 2 min on medium low heat. After, mix in another round of vegetable broth and flour (small amounts); pace this out evenly don't add all at once! Continue this process until all 2 1/2 cups of broth is used up and the roux is full and complete.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil, soy sauce, and a dash of pepper to the gravy.
- Mix and cook on medium to low heat until gravy thickens.
- Plate the mashed potatoes and pour on the gravy! Now, enjoy!
Find more recipes like this one in the new Going Vegan Ebook !!