Raw Vegan Stuffed Apple pie
Warm apple pie has always been one of those desserts that gives me all the nostalgia and all the feel good feels. There is something magical about the soft apple consistency mixed with the sweet cinnamon flavor. This is by far one of my favorite special treats to make. These are gluten free, vegan, raw, no added processed sugar and very impressive to look at.
5 gala apples
20 Pitted Medjool date
1/2 cup walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut flakes
1/2 cup pecans
10 pitted Medjool dates
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup water
Pinch of salt (optional)
2.5 cup scooped apple
- First make the crust. Combine all crust ingredients into a high speed food processor and pulse until very well combined. Will become a ball of dough. Place in a bowl in freezer while preparing the apples.
- Slice just the very tops off each apple and with a melon scoop or a metal tablespoon, gently gut the apple. Dispose of all seeds and save the rest in a bowl.
- Remove the crust from freezer and using a little tray of water wet your fingertips before you handle the dough (otherwise it gets sticky!)
- Use about 2 TBSP worth of crust dough per apple and gently press the crust into and against the entire inside lining of the apple. Using a little water on your fingers as needed to spread it out evenly. Then set all apples that are completely lined in fridge.
- Combine all caramel filling ingredients EXCEPT the scooped apple into a high speed blender. Blend until a smooth caramel date sauce is created.
- Place your apple guts into a large bowl and pour caramel sauce over them. Stir until well combined. Now its time to fill up those crusted apple shells!
- Remove apples from fridge and fill each one with the caramel apple filling.
- Optional, top each apple with the apple cap or use left over crust that has been pressed into a pan and frozen by cutting the crust into slices and braiding it as a pie topper (as seen above... this step takes patience)
- Serve as is OR dehydrate for 3 hours at 115 degrees and serve warm. Can be stored in fridge. Enjoy! Serves 5.
This recipe is from my Raw Holidays ebook:
For some amazing vegan dressing recipes check out my ebook Sauce Queen.